Monday, October 2, 2017

OctPoWriMo Day Two: "Words"

First a personal note; I wrote this poem before I saw the terrible news today from Las Vegas... I am lost for how to process such a horrific event, and my thoughts are with all those touched by this unimaginable act of violence.

I've decided to post what I've written because my own personal struggle to find words has lasted so long in my battle against Bipolar Disorder, OCD and PTSD and I don't want to let any that I happen to find go to waste.

So, today is my effort for day 2 of this month's poetry writing challenge.



The prompt was "We Write Because We Must" and you were to give yourself ten minutes to free write and see where it led you. I set the timer on my iPad and the bones of this appeared on the page. I only spent about fifteen minutes afterward polishing it up.

If you're a poet or any writer who NEEDS to write to feel like yourself, I hope this poem will resonate with you.

~*~  ~*~  ~*~

"Words" by February Grace

A candle spent
left in the dark
a match head wet,
without a spark

a farmer's toil
that yields no crop;
a rainstorm
that will never stop

time wasted in 
reflection, meant
to be in sweet
creation spent

a melody
yet to compose
a springtime morn
without a rose

a kite, flightless
without string
-a humbling and
a maddening thing

...the saddest plight
you've ever heard:
a poet's soul
devoid of words.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~ ~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! It will appear on the blog once reviewed.